Tracieisland

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

THE WRONG END OF THE STICK !!

Claire came home from school yesterday rather excited at the prospect of doing a project. The teacher had said they could choose their own choice of person but gave a few pointers as regards to the project content. I was busy cooking dinner and suggested that Claire think about who she'd like to write about and to research some info on the internet.
I suggested the late Steve Erwin as he was Australian and l thought she might pick up a few useful facts about oz at the same time; Claire too thought this was a brilliant idea.
Things were coming along nicely; she kept showing me bits of info and asking for advice as to which bits to include and what facts were useful.
Claire had now eaten her tea and had hastely returned to the computer to continue her project she was really enthuasiastic, l was still at the table eating.
All of a sudden she shouts though.....MUM WHAT DOES PI**ED MEAN?
After nearly choking on my crumble! l shouted back I BEG YOUR PARDON !!
So she shouts a little louder.....I SAID.... WHAT DOES PI**ED MEAN?
No l hadn't heard it wrong!! and continue to shout back...CLAIRE THAT'S A RUDE WORD AND DON'T LET ME HEAR YOU SAY IT AGAIN.
I hear her say IS IT? slightly quieter and sounding a bit mistified....but again says OK I WON'T SAY IT, BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
I say why do you want to know?
She says... well, because it says it here!
(l'm now thinking oh my goodness aren't we going to have some fun whwn we get over there, l did read that in some areas the ozzies refer to the brits as 'pomme ba**ards' .... charming l thought!! and thought this web page Claires on is probably not appropriate!!)
I now reluctantly drop my spoon in bowl and make my way to Claire.
I say calmly, show me what your reading about Claire...............she says equally as calmly... Look mum it says here about when Steve died; the stingray "pierced" his heart!!!!!!!!!! isn't that horrible mum? she followed by saying she did want to put that bit in!! I cut across her words and said thats fine Claire, put it in just make sure you pronounce it correctly when your reading it aloud to the class, she couldn't believe what l thought she meant!!!
If l had gone to investigate sooner instead of filling my face l could have saved the confusion but as usual it did give us a good laugh!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home